Thursday, June 18, 2015

Staring at Strangers

We've all had that special moment with an oblivious stranger, haven't we?

He smiles to himself for a fleeting moment, his chin resting on his fist and eyes wandering. I wonder what he’s just thought about. Then he’s distracted by his phone vibrating on the table top and goes to pick it up. I wait for him to check it and return to his original trance-like state, but instead he moves on and rests his gaze on the notes spread in front of him.

This annoys me. Severely.


The only reason I’ve even acknowledged this man’s existence is because of his seeming obliviousness to his surroundings. I don’t know his name or what his voice sounds like but I’d established him to be a well meaning person until he took away the very thing that had drawn me in.

I’m irrationally angry at a man who, to me, has only ever just existed.


It had been a perfect few seconds that the busy world missed and it’s never going to be repeated.
I want to pout and kick my feet, like a child not getting what it wants. And that would be as effective as anything else because I know I can’t get people to forge moments. It’s just that when they happen you barely have time to absorb them and you wish they’d lasted a little longer.

He’d been so happily unaware of his own projecting happiness.

Now he’s got his eyes fixated on a notepad. I try to crane my neck to see whether he’s reading or staring at blank paper, but it’s too far away to tell.

He’s still detached from the world. Just never looks around him, does he? He’s stiller than the individual seconds of time that pass around him in the form of chatter, footsteps and the diffusion of coffee shop scents.

Is this guy putting on a show? I fully expect him to flinch and break character any minute now, scream “Gotcha!” then sprout wings, pull out a sword and fly away.
But all he does is just sit there. And stare blankly at his work.

Suddenly, I feel a vibration in my pocket and realize I’ve been stupidly smiling to myself, my chin resting on my fist. I smile for another fleeting moment, but then I go to check my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment