Monday, June 29, 2015

Hopeless Romantic Chemist

I have a pH of seven.
Neutral, like H2O.
Sometimes a drifting cloud
waiting for the wind to blow.
Sometimes cold as solid ice
when times and temperatures are low.

But mostly I flow
in a liquid state,
sliding around in disorder, I await
you. You’re Potassium.
Await your methodical extraction,
dreaming of what textbooks describe your touch as an ‘explosive reaction’.

I’ve lost some of my Hydrogen, so desperate to bond.
But you leave me for Chlorine, of whom you’re so fond.
Blind to her greenness, her electro-negative ways,
though she knows what she wants, stability she craves.

And I am a compound, ever-changing-
my surroundings ranging
from the formula of tears that wash away sorrow,
to the predicted happy summer showers of tomorrow.

2 comments: